Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Total: 25 mins
Serves 2 as a main, 4 – 5 as a side.
- 500g / 1lb mushrooms , button or Swiss brown / cremini OR 8 large (like portabello)
- 50g / 3 tbsp unsalted butter , melted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , finely minced
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
OPTIONAL FINISHING FLAVOUR:
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (parsley also good for colour)
Preheat oven to 220°C/450°F (200°F fan).
Toss mushrooms with butter, oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl using a rubber spatula.
- Spread on a baking tray and roast for 25 minutes – do not toss or turn.
- Remove from oven. If using lemon and thyme, push mushrooms together onto one side of the tray, drizzle with lemon, sprinkle with thyme and toss. Serve immediately!
HOW TO ROAST LARGE MUSHROOMS (EG PORTABELLO)
(Video here for large mushrooms) Place mushrooms cap side down (ie stems facing up) in a medium baking dish (so they are kind of snug – they shrink).
Spoon 1 tsp of butter over each mushroom, then use the rest to brush the edges (or carefully drizzle over edges).
- Drizzle over olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes (tender but still a slight firmness) or 25 minutes (tender) – no turning. There will be juices in the pan and plenty pooled in the mushrooms caps.
- Squeeze over a bit of lemon juice, sprinkle with thyme. Serve mushrooms, drizzled with pan juices (see notes for serving suggestions).