Are you looking for a hearty and filling Italian dinner recipe that will impress your family and guests? Look no further than this delicious baked ziti with meatballs recipe! It’s a classic Italian dish that is sure to satisfy your cravings for comfort food.
This baked ziti with meatballs recipe is perfect for a family dinner or a potluck party. It’s easy to make and can be prepared in advance, making it a great choice for busy weeknights. The recipe is also versatile – you can use any type of pasta you like, and you can also add your favorite vegetables or herbs to the mix.
1 and ½ lbs. ground pork
1 and ½ lbs. ground beef
2 cups dried breadcrumbs
½ cup milk
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp Italian seasoning
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp salt
½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
TO ASSEMBLE CASSEROLE
500g Ziti pasta, cooked and drained
6 cups (2 jars) marinara sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
3 to 4 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley (flat leaf Italian or curly)
4 tbsp. fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
- Place ground pork and ground beef in a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the meat, followed by the milk. Let the milk soak into the breadcrumbs for about two minutes while you chop the onions.
- Add in the finely chopped onion, eggs, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- (I like to mix my meatballs using clean hands. Rings off and stored in a safe spot! Alternatively, you can use a wooden spoon).
- Mix gently and until everything is mixed in. Be careful not to over mix!
- Shape into 2-inch balls and place on baking sheet lightly brushed with olive oil.
- Bake in 425°F for 25 to 30 minutes, turning once, halfway through.
- Check to ensure that meatballs are cooked completely. They should no longer be pink inside.
- This will make 48 meatballs and you will only need 24 for the recipe. You can store cooled meatballs in ziplock bags in the fridge up to three days or in the freezer for up to 2 months).
- To assemble: Place drained pasta in large mixing bowl along with 24 meatballs. Pour the marinara sauce overtop and stir gently until coated completely with sauce.
- Transfer to a lightly oiled 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and a few tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Serve hot and enjoy the deliciousness of this baked ziti with meatballs recipe!
Why you will love this recipe: This baked ziti with meatballs recipe is perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a family dinner, a potluck, or a holiday gathering. The meatballs add an extra layer of flavor and texture to the dish, making it even more satisfying. Plus, it’s super easy to make and can be prepared in advance, making it a great option for busy weeknights.
In terms of nutrition, this recipe is also a good source of protein and fiber, thanks to the meatballs and whole wheat pasta. You can also add some veggies to the mix, such as spinach, zucchini, or bell peppers, to boost the nutritional value even further.
Conclusion: Overall, baked ziti with meatballs is a classic Italian dish that never disappoints. It’s comforting, flavorful, and easy to make, making it a perfect option for any occasion. So why not give this recipe a try and see for yourself how delicious it can be?